They have a wonderful Children's Department and provide a wide variety of programs. Some of the things they offer are:
- Mommy and Me Reading Programs - I loved doing this when my boys were little. The kids sat on my lap while the librarian read us stories. They would even act out the books with a felt board or puppets.
- Preschool Reading Programs - The little ones would go into the reading room for 30 minutes and be entertained by the librarian. She would read and do sing-a-longs with them. This was also the first time my boys went somewhere alone. It was a great way for them to get used to being without me.
- Tween Programs - They have so many great things for the pre-teens to do. They even have a yo-yo club that my son loves.
- Teen Programs - They have book clubs and lock - ins. They also have many ways the teens can volunteer their time.
- Book Buddies - This is one of my favorite programs. Teens donate their time to read to elementary age children every week. The teen is paired with the younger child for a six week period. This was a great way for teens to get community service time. And the little children really love spending time with the older kids.
- Summer Reading Programs for All Ages - They have a wonderful program each summer. The kids earn prizes for reading. Each year the theme changes. I always participate in the Adult Summer Reading Program. I can't ask them to do anything I won't do. It was set up as a raffle, with each book review counting as a chance. Well this year I won a Kindle!! Very excited!
So check out your local library. You might be surprised at what they have to offer.