Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Your Local Library Can Be a Great Resource

Libraries are a wonderful resource for your children.  Today, libraries are a lot more than just a place to borrow books.  They have so much more to offer.  My local library is one of my favorite places to be.  

They have a wonderful Children's Department and provide a wide variety of programs.  Some of the things they offer are:
  • Mommy and Me Reading Programs - I loved doing this when my boys were little.  The kids sat on my lap while the librarian read us stories.  They would even act out the books with a felt board or puppets.
  • Preschool Reading Programs - The little ones would go into the reading room for 30 minutes and be entertained by the librarian.  She would read and do sing-a-longs with them.  This was also the first time my boys went somewhere alone.  It was a great way for them to get used to being without me.  
  • Tween Programs - They have so many great things for the pre-teens to do.  They even have a yo-yo club that my son loves.
  • Teen Programs - They have book clubs and lock - ins.  They also have many ways the teens can volunteer their time.
  • Book Buddies - This is one of my favorite programs.  Teens donate their time to read to elementary age children every week.  The teen is paired with the younger child for a six week period.  This was a great way for teens to get community service time.  And the little children really love spending time with the older kids.
  • Summer Reading Programs for All Ages - They have a wonderful program each summer.  The kids earn prizes for reading.  Each year the theme changes.  I always participate in the Adult Summer Reading Program.  I can't ask them to do anything I won't do.  It was set up as a raffle, with each book review counting as a chance. Well this year I won a Kindle!!  Very excited!
So check out your local library.  You might be surprised at what they have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback